Back-to-Back Sections Description
Back-to-Back Sections refers to two or more sections that have the same instructor in the SIS and are close in start date, time, and expected headcount that have been designated as requiring assignment to the same location to facilitate ease of scheduling for instructors and/or students, or for some other reason. You might use this functionality, for example, to ensure that instructors don’t have to change rooms when they have back-to-back classes. LYNX allows you to define what you mean by "back-to-back" sections in terms of date, time, and headcount.
Enhancement to back-to-back functionality in 25Live Administration Utility
LYNX back-to-back functionality is an enhanced version of the functionality currently available in the 25Live Administration Utility. If you're a LYNX user, define back-to-back sections in LYNX, not in the 25Live Administration Utility.
To Create Back-to-Back Sections
- From the Interface Configuration menu, choose Data Binding.
- Choose Back-to-Back Sections from the Type drop-down.
- Click the Term Code edit icon, select the term code of the section meeting patterns you want to include in the back-to-back group, then click Done.
Image: Select the term code of the sections you want to bind
- If you want to narrow the search results to a specific section or sections, enter the full or partial section name in the Keyword field.
- Click Search. The back-to-back groups for the term code you selected and the full or partial section name you entered (if you did) are displayed. If no groups are displayed, there are are no back-to-back groups based on your search criteria.
- Click Bind Back-to-Back Sections to open the Bind Back-to-Back Sections window.
Image: Use the Bind Back-to-Back Sections window to create back-to-back section groups on import into 25Live.
- Choose the import extract set containing the section meeting patterns you want to bind from the drop-down.
- If you're satisfied with the back-to-back definition settings, click Run.
If you want to change the current back-to-back definition settings, click Reconfigure, change the settings as needed, click Review and Run, then click Run. See "Back-to-Back Defaults" below.
A status bar showing the progress of the run is displayed. Prior to the creation of the new back-to-back groups, any existing back-to-back groups for the selected term and import extract set are deleted.
- Once the back-to-back section groups have been created, import the sections into 25Live so the bindings can take effect by doing another import of the whole extract set or by clicking the "Import" link of each group you want to import.
By default, section meeting patterns are defined as back-to-back if they have the same instructor in the SIS, their starting dates are not more than 1 week apart, the time between the end time of one and the start time of the other is not more than 10 minutes, and their expected headcounts don't vary by more than 50%. These default settings or any previously defined settings can be changed using the Reconfigure option, as described above.
Copyright © 2022 CollegeNET, Inc. Note: This information is for CollegeNET Series25 customer use only.
back to back sections