- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
|Table of Contents|
Exam Creation Utility Description
The Interface Exam Creation Utility allows you to define exam creation extract sets, define exam creation rules for each extract set based on section meeting patterns, and initiate the creation and import of exams into 25Live for location assignment and ongoing maintenance.
This Utility is available in all versions of the Interface. It provides exam creation based on exam creation rules you define and a one-way import of those exams into 25Live.
The Campus Solutions and Universal versions of LYNX also include an Exam Import/Export Utility that supports the import of exams from the SIS into 25Live and the export of exams (with assigned locations) from 25Live back to the SIS (see Using the Exam Import/Export Utility).
Before you can use LYNX to import exams, you must import the sections you plan to associate the exams with. If you have imported sections for a term using the legacy TCS Interface prior to switching to LYNX, you can't import exams for that term using LYNX without doing additional work first.
Exam Creation Extract Sets
Before you can use the Exam Creation Utility, you must define an exam creation extract set that identifies the sections you want to create and import exams for. You can choose one or more terms in their entirety or a subset.
Only terms that have been initialized can be selected for inclusion in exam creation extract sets (see Initializing SIS Term Data).
Each extract set is limited to 20,000 records.
Once you have chosen one or more terms, any of these criteria can be used to define a subset of sections in the selected term(s):
- Term Code (required)
- Campus Code
- Subject Code
- Section Type
- Section ID
- Sub-term Code (Banner, Campus Solutions, and Universal only)
- Instruction Code (Banner, Campus Solutions, and Universal only)
- Part of Day Code (Banner and Universal only)
- Institution Code (Campus Solutions and Universal only)
- Location/Region Code (Campus Solutions and Universal only)
- Assignment Indicator (Campus Solutions and Universal only)
- Academic Career (Campus Solutions, Colleague, and Universal only)
- SIS Assignment (Campus Solutions only)
- Exam Indicator (Campus Solutions only)
For example, you could define an exam creation extract set that includes only sections for Lecture section types with a BIOL subject code in the 201930 term.
To Define an Exam Creation Extract Set
- From the LYNX Utilities menu, choose Exam Creation.
- On the Extract Sets for Exam Creation page, click New Extract Set to go to the New Extract Set page.
Image: Use the New Extract Set page to define an exam creation extract set
- Click the pencil icon next to “New Extract Set,” backspace over the system-provided name, and enter a meaningful name for the extract set.
- If you want to enter a description of the extract set, click the pencil icon next to “Description,” backspace over the system-provided description, and enter a meaningful description of the extract set.
Click the pencil icon next to Term Codes, and choose the term code(s) you want to include in the import extract set, then click Done. You must include at least one Term Code in your extract criteria.
Tip title Use Search to Make Selection Easier
As you're selecting extract set criteria, if the list of items you can select from is long, you'll be presented with a Search field where you can begin entering an item name to shorten the list of items to choose from, as shown here:
- If you want to further limit the section data included in the extract set, click Add Criteria, and choose the criterion. For example, you might want to limit the imported data to just one or a few Subject Codes or just a few specific Section Types.
- Click the pencil icon next to the criterion name you selected in step 6 and choose one or more of the items in the displayed list, then click Done. In this example, we've chosen to limit our extract set to just one Section Type – Seminars.
Image: Limiting the section data of an Exam Creation Extract Set using the New Extract Set page
- If you’ve chosen more than one item in step 7, select Matching Any (if you want only sections where at least one of the selected items is matched in the section data to be included in the extract) or Matching None (if you want only sections where none of the selected items are matched in the section data to be included in the extract).
Repeat steps 6 - 8 as needed to further limit the section data you want included in the extract set.
Info title Campus Solutions only
If you want to limit the extract set to sections with certain locations assigned or certain locations not assigned, do the following:
a - Choose SIS Assignment as a criterion.
b - Enter one of the locations.
c - To enter more locations, click the “Add New Value” link and enter the next location. Repeat as needed to enter additional locations.
d - Select “Matching Any” if you want only sections that have one of the locations you entered assigned to be included. Select “Matching None” if you want only sections that have none of the locations you entered assigned to be included.
- The extract set is set to “Active” by default. If you don’t want it to be active at this time, click the button to the right of the extract name to set it to Off (inactive). You can re-activate it at a later time by editing the extract set.
- Click Save.
To Define Exam Creation Rules
Once you have defined one or more exam creation extract sets, you’re ready to define exam creation rules that specify for each section meeting pattern when the exam for sections with that meeting pattern should occur.
You also have the option of cloning (copying) a rule, then modifying it as needed to create a new rule (see Cloning Exam Creation Rules).
- From the LYNX Utilities menu, choose Exam Creation.
- On the Extract Sets for Exam Creation page, select the extract set you want to define exam creation rules for, then click Exam Creation Rules.
- Click Add New Rule to open the Add New Exam Rule page. You must fill out all fields on this page.
- Enter the earliest and latest meeting pattern start time (hour and minute), and click the button to designate AM or PM.
- Enter the earliest and latest meeting pattern end time (hour and minute), and click the button to designate AM or PM.
- Click the Meeting Pattern Days of Week “Edit” icon, choose the section meeting pattern(s) this rule applies to, then click Done.
- Enter (or use the calendar control to select) the exam date for sections that meet the criteria you’ve defined in steps 4 - 6.
- Enter the start time of the exam (hour and minute), and click the button to designate AM or PM.
- Enter the end time of the exam (hour and minute), and click the button to designate AM or PM.
Image: Example of exam creation rule
- If you don’t want the rule to be active now, click No. You can always activate it later by editing the rule.
- Click Submit.
- Repeat steps 3 - 11 as needed to create additional exam creation rules for this extract set.
To Review and Import an Exam Creation Extract Set
- From the LYNX Utilities menu, choose Exam Creation.
- On the Extract Sets for Exam Creation page, select the extract set you want exams created for and imported, then click Review and Process.
- Review the sections included in the Exam Creation Extract Set list near the bottom of the page. The list shows the following information for each section:
Summary (SUBJECT+COURSE NUMBER+SECTION NUMBER)
Term Code (for example, 201940)
Exam – This column shows the date and time of the exam that will be created for the section (including the common exam group name if applicable) or "[No Exam]" if no exam will be created.
Import?—This column indicates whether or not the an exam will be created and imported and, if not, the reason.
“Yes” indicates an exam will be created and imported for the section.
"Common Exam" indicates that this is the primary section in its common exam group so a common exam will be created and imported that includes this section and all others associated with this group.
“Not Active” indicates the exam’s corresponding section has been canceled in the SIS , so no exam will be created and imported for it.
“No Exam” indicates the exam’s corresponding that either this is not the primary section in its common exam group so no unique exam will be created and imported for it or that the section doesn’t have an exam, or doesn’t have an exam creation rule that applies, so no exam can be created and imported for it.
Image: Review the information for the sections included in the Exam Creation Extract Set
Click Import Exams 25Live, then click Yes to confirm. On the Import Details page, you see the progress of the exam creation/import and, when the import is 100% Complete, the process details and chunk information.
Info title Exam Creation Processing
Each meeting pattern of a given section can only be the source for a single, created exam. This means that:
- As the exam creation process proceeds, regardless of whether or not multiple exam creation rules are satisfied by a given meeting pattern, only one exam will be created for that meeting pattern.
- If a given section meeting pattern is identified in multiple exam creation extract sets, the first time one of those extract sets is executed an exam will be created. When a subsequent extract set is executed, that same exam will be updated based on the exam creation rules in the subsequent extract set, and so on.
- Review the process details which include the following:
Process ID—the internal number of the import process
Type—the type of import, in this case Exam Creation
Manual?—in this case Yes, since the process was initiated by an Interface user, not as an automated process
Section Count—the number of sections whose exams were submitted for import
Sections Processed—the number of sections whose exams successfully processed
Sections Excluded—the number of sections whose exams were excluded from the process
Chunk Count—the number of data chunks required
Create Date—when the import process was run
Image: Review the import process details on the Import Details page
To see the import process messages, click View All Messages to go to the Import/Export Messages page. In the Import to 25Live - Summary By Message Level area, you can see at a glance the total number of items (in this case exams) the Interface attempted to import, and the number with warnings or errors. The detail list below shows the following for each exam:UID—The internal UID
Type—in this case Exam
Name—the name of the exam
Date—when the import process attempted to import the exam
Level—the message severity level associated with the exam: Info, Warning, or Error
The message associated with the exam (For information on import error and warning messages, see Troubleshooting Import Problems)
Image: Review the import messages in the Import to 25Live - Summary By Message Level area
- When you’re done reviewing the messages, click Back above the message list to return to the Import Details page.
Use the navigation controls below the message list to find and display the exams you’re interested in. You can also sort the list by clicking the heading you want to sort by.
Click the Show Message Summary button above the list to see a summary of all the messages on the page, including a count of the number of times each message was generated and the specific objects that triggered it.
Click the download icon above the list or summary to download the information in Excel format.